*Author

Offline Krava

• Reputation Power: 5
  • Krava is a Spark waiting for a buff.
  • New to Elements
Re: Lesson 2: Getting Started https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=17823.msg228203#msg228203
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2010, 01:03:10 pm »
Ok this is my favorite part, tinkering with features, oh all the possibilities.....
Finishing is hard part :(

Anyway since i am doing elemental knights for bored ninja. I can use this as part of that process also. so next one i was thinking to do is earth knight. I was thinking several concepts and this one calls to me the most. Some kind of armored earth golem also having massive upper body and rhino features. I think krogans from mass effect little influenced me on this, but this is what i find most compelling. So my first sketch in exploring this concept, lineart:

SKETCH #1

Offline vrtTopic starter

• Reputation Power: 40
  • vrt soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.vrt soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.vrt soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.vrt soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.vrt soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.vrt soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.vrt soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.vrt soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.
  • Elitist Graphics Whore
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 4th Birthday CakeBrawl #1 Winner - Team Nyan SharksSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 2nd Birthday CakeCard Art Competition 1st Place
Re: Lesson 2: Getting Started https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=17823.msg228230#msg228230
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2010, 01:34:50 pm »
Glitch: It's okay to spend a little more time defining features! Think of it as concept art: If you give the sketch to someone else, he/she should be able to make it into a final piece. A good amount of detail, especially that which characterizes the creature, should be visible or suggested.

Krahhl: That's not bad at all! I'd heavily suggest, though, to use a 'skeleton'. It'll make it a lot easier to give a sense of volume to your tiger. Look at the example at this link for an example; especially the first 3 steps could be helpful to you!

The same applies to your second sketch. For your third one, I'd really like to see another value sketch, but try and use all values: From black to white. Pay attention to the direction of the lighting!

wizelsnarf: If you want to really continue with digital artwork, you should be able to get yourself a decent tablet for a low price. Until that times, traditional media might be better suited for linework sketches, they allow you to do more work in less time. I'd suggest the same thing to you as I did to Krahhl; build up the creature layer by layer, and don't erase those lines - they'll help with adding detail.

wootnumbers: Spend a little more time on the details! You went over those lines up to 12 times in places; you probably had it right the second already. Right now, if I were to take your sketch and make it into a final piece, the only thing I could make out of it would be a vector image. Add some more detail!

WarDead: Not bad, but there's a lot of room for improvement. In your second sketch, work on getting the image to read well; I needed your explanation to figure out what it was, and that's typically not a very good thing. Try putting it in a 3/4 perspective like the example I posted in the assignment post; this will give you much more room to define features!

bored_ninja777: I'd suggest http://www.splashup.com/ as a Photoshop alternative. If you feel you still can't work with it; grab pencil and paper! Despite certain suggestions, try not to go for a soft brush. You'll just get a big, blurry result, which makes it hard to see the detail.

ArtCrusade: No more cropping at the knees from now on! Sketches should almost always show a full character, you can alway choose to leave out parts in a final piece. For your value study, I feel you're not really showing anything. There's practically no contrast, and therefore very little definition. Try and change that around a bit!

Your linework sketch is better, but also could use a bit more definition. Where does the armor start, how will I tell the material it's made out of? I'd really like to see a second set of sketches from your, this time with a bit more time spent on them. Basically, anything under 30 minutes is good.

Krava: This is a great sketch! The details are readable and usable. I'd like to see your value study; I'd like it even more if it was a full figure.

To all: Remember that a sketch should always suggest details. I want to be able to take your sketch, give it to another person, and let him make a full painting. In order for the other person to make it look the way you intended it, he's going to need as much information as possible. Even little scribbles can suggest plenty of detail, so include them!
So long and thanks for all the fish!

Offline RavingRabbid

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 85
  • RavingRabbid is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.RavingRabbid is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.RavingRabbid is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.RavingRabbid is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.RavingRabbid is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.RavingRabbid is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.RavingRabbid is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.RavingRabbid is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.RavingRabbid is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.RavingRabbid is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.RavingRabbid is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.RavingRabbid is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.RavingRabbid is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.RavingRabbid is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.RavingRabbid is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.
  • Lord Seagull
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 11th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 10th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 7th Birthday CakeDeckbuilding Competition: The Face of Mother NatureSlice of Elements 6th Birthday Cake7th Trials - Master of WaterWinner of Warrior's Preparation - PvP Event14 Club - Most Expensive Players during War AuctionWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday CakeTeam PVP #1 Winner5th Trials - Master of Water3rd Trials - Master of WaterChampionship League 3/2011 WinnerWinner of 2nd Off-Topic Quiz LeagueWinner of 2nd Element Quiz LeagueWinner of 1st Off-Topic Quiz LeagueWinner of 1st Element Quiz LeagueChampionship League 2/2011 WinnerSlice of Elements 2nd Birthday Cake3-Man Team PvP #1 Winner
Re: Lesson 2: Getting Started https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=17823.msg228498#msg228498
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2010, 07:10:56 pm »

Here it is. (better scan coming when I manage to use the scanner.)

I drawed a strange thing, with an horn, a creepy smile. It also looks furry, and has something that resembles a bat wing. The wing is linked directly into the fur of the back of the body.
There are things worse than eating tuna directly from the tin

Offline Thalas

• Reputation Power: 14
  • Thalas is taking their first peeks out of the Antlion's burrow.Thalas is taking their first peeks out of the Antlion's burrow.
  • New to Elements
Re: Lesson 2: Getting Started https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=17823.msg228604#msg228604
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2010, 09:01:52 pm »
First Sketching via Speedpainting
(http://imageplay.net/)
Well I was watching the lotr and the nazghul appeared. I thought it would be good idea to paint three headed serpent, because i could draw three heads in three different positions.

Krahhl

Re: Lesson 2: Getting Started https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=17823.msg228644#msg228644
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2010, 09:42:28 pm »
Krahhl: That's not bad at all! I'd heavily suggest, though, to use a 'skeleton'. It'll make it a lot easier to give a sense of volume to your tiger. Look at the example at this link for an example; especially the first 3 steps could be helpful to you!

The same applies to your second sketch. For your third one, I'd really like to see another value sketch, but try and use all values: From black to white. Pay attention to the direction of the lighting!
Ahh, I didn't see this until now, and I already finished my third sketch. I'm going to try another one using a skeleton and working with more values though. Running out of poses :3.

wizelsnarf

Re: Lesson 2: Getting Started https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=17823.msg228820#msg228820
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2010, 12:43:56 am »
I will simply say I love your latest sketch!

Offline pepokish

• Reputation Power: 6
  • pepokish is a Spark waiting for a buff.
  • Honorary Team Life Member! <3
  • Awards: Real Life Elementalist
Re: Lesson 2: Getting Started https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=17823.msg229431#msg229431
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2010, 08:07:38 pm »
RavingRabbid - Nice sketches!  c:  My biggest critique here right now is that your creature is very flat looking.  Notice how the eye and mouth of your creature make no difference to the creature's silhouette, even though the creature is in profile.  It's almost as if they are simply painted onto the creature, rather than actual features.  If this was your intention, then of course it's fine!  (: 

But if it was actual face you were intending to portray, don't be afraid to alter the creature's shape based on the features you give it -- utilize indents, bumps, and overlapping lines to show that the features are indeed incorporated into the creature's build. Click here to see a little example of what I mean.  Overlapping lines work well to show how the eye and mouth are actual features implemented into the face, rather than flat markings. 

Anyway, I can't wait to see your next sketch(es)!  Keep up the great work!  (:

--

Thalas - Ooh, very interesting!  Great idea for a creature, and very nicely done speedpainting.  There are just two small things I'd like to point out, here. 

First, is your brush size.  You used a very small brush to work this painting, which gives the serpent an unintended furry texture.  Of course you're absolutely free to use this technique if you like it -- this is the sketch phase, so you should feel as free as possible during this phase!  But I find that using a much larger brush often saves a lot of time, as well as avoids the scribbly/fuzzy texture which results from using a very small brush.

Secondly, and more importantly, I'd love to see you experiment a little bit with light and shadows.  We haven't taught anything about this yet, but you've got a great basic speedpaint here, and something which could really kick it up a notch would be to utilize more interesting shadows and highlights.  I see some highlights on the faces, but for the most part the shading seems pretty uniform throughout.  It seems that you've decided on a light source directing from the top-left corner.  Remember that light moves only in straight lines, and try to imagine which parts of the serpent are going to be touched by that light, and which parts will be in shadow. 

I really like how you curled the tail around behind the serpent.  This gives great depth to your image! I also like how each head is at a different angle, adding a lot of interest to the piece.  You did a great job, keep up the hard work!  C:

--

Krahl - What a lovely Tiger... (:  If you find yourself running out of poses, just go hit up your old friend google, and gather some ideas.  :P

But yeah, I'd really love to see you work with a skeleton structure and flesh out from there.  I think you did very nicely with this sketch, though.  One thing to watch out for is symmetry around the face.  Humans tend to be very drawn toward faces, and will tell right away if something about the face just seems off.  Do you hold your work up to a mirror, occasionally?  It's a great way to see if anything in your artwork looks a bit off.

Very well done, I hope to see more sketches from you!

--

Great job so far, everyone!  C:  I love seeing all these sketches... Don't forget, if anyone has any question at all whatsoever, please don't be afraid to ask.  There's no such thing as a stupid question (relatively speaking -- don't be a smart alec.. lol.) -- and if you're too embarrassed/nervous to ask here in class, don't hold back and feel free to PM either vrt or myself.  We're here to help you, after all.  :3

Offline ArtCrusade

• Reputation Power: 7
  • ArtCrusade is a Spark waiting for a buff.
  • Join the ArtCrusade!
Re: Lesson 2: Getting Started https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=17823.msg229484#msg229484
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2010, 08:48:08 pm »
Well, a step-by-step guide on how to create speedpaintings would be nice.
My art:         deviantArt
My poetry:    Writing.com

Offline Krava

• Reputation Power: 5
  • Krava is a Spark waiting for a buff.
  • New to Elements
Re: Lesson 2: Getting Started https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=17823.msg229541#msg229541
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2010, 09:37:41 pm »
Ok, now i made him  crystal horn, and much more rhino features added chest armor, full figure and pole-tetsubo.  but lost some of his earth features. Maybe i shoulda made him broader (even more..). Kinda reminds me of rhox people from magic the gathering... Some of them were also armored  rhinos. Did a lot of research on rhinos, they have interesting feet and mouths :)

Anyway next will be done in photoshop using shades of gray, i already tried and it can be done with mouse.

SKETCH #2:

Offline vrtTopic starter

• Reputation Power: 40
  • vrt soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.vrt soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.vrt soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.vrt soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.vrt soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.vrt soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.vrt soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.vrt soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.
  • Elitist Graphics Whore
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 4th Birthday CakeBrawl #1 Winner - Team Nyan SharksSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 2nd Birthday CakeCard Art Competition 1st Place
Re: Lesson 2: Getting Started https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=17823.msg230016#msg230016
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2010, 09:51:49 am »
ArtCrusade: Take a brush, start painting, do it quickly. Look for any digital painting tutorial - there's a million of them out there - and just do it quickly. There's really no definite guide on speedpainting.

Krava: Nice use of reference, but I feel he's lacking some body definition in his upper chest area. Try working from a skeleton to get that volume in there!
So long and thanks for all the fish!

Offline ArtCrusade

• Reputation Power: 7
  • ArtCrusade is a Spark waiting for a buff.
  • Join the ArtCrusade!
Re: Lesson 2: Getting Started https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=17823.msg230090#msg230090
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2010, 01:40:04 pm »
I still find it much easier to make sketches with traditional media..

My art:         deviantArt
My poetry:    Writing.com

Malduk

Re: Lesson 2: Getting Started https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=17823.msg230522#msg230522
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2010, 11:22:40 pm »
Hi! I'm kinda late to the party  ;D
Today on chat, vrt kinda gave me the first inspiration to draw after... well years. And I loved to draw while I was a kid, so I gave it a shot here. I'm also considering getting a pad, as everything is easier on computer, and I've been working hard all year, I deserve a stupid gift for mysef  :P

Anyway, the only camera that had batteries sucks, and since visibility was meh, so I increased contrast on Photoshop so the lines are more visible.

Teh sketch:

I dont know if humans are a no-no here, hopefully not. I prefer humans, or at least humanoids to weird creatures.

Anyway, to the sketch. I realize she looks kinda... tall. The body seems longish. Now that I think of it, I could have reduced the height of the image in PS, so the issue wouldnt be as noticeable. The thing that irks me the most is the length between belly and umm... how do you say that in proper way... yeah. But I saw that only AFTER I was done with legs and scythe, so I wasnt sure how to fix it without erasing bottom half.
Also, I realized I cant draw hands haha. Or foot for that matter, so I avoided that. She looks naked as I wasnt sure yet what kind of dress/armor to put on her. Figured it doesnt matter since its still a sketch. At this point I'm more interested in drawing itself, than in making some uber creature that will find its way to the elements card.

Comments, ideas?

anything
blarg: