*Author

Offline vrtTopic starter

• Reputation Power: 40
  • vrt soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.vrt soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.vrt soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.vrt soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.vrt soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.vrt soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.vrt soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.vrt soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.
  • Elitist Graphics Whore
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 4th Birthday CakeBrawl #1 Winner - Team Nyan SharksSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 2nd Birthday CakeCard Art Competition 1st Place
Lesson 1: An Introduction https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=17021.msg217122#msg217122
« on: December 05, 2010, 09:45:17 am »
Art Class is finally starting off!

As a first lesson, we'd really like to see where you're at right now. Because of that, I'm going to give an assignment that can be pretty hard, but you have to remember: It's okay if your art doesn't look good yet. We're only just starting, so there's no shame in anything!

Lesson 1: Assignment:

For the first lesson, you're asked to make a completely new piece for the Changeling (http://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php/topic,12976.0.html) Card Idea. It's a flexible concept, so I'm very curious to see how this will go. No matter what you create, I expect you to work to the best of your ability - as limited as you may believe this is, yourself. Remember, this is not a test, it's just a way for us to get to know you and your work!

Other assignments may demand that you post one or more progress shots, but for the first one, it's optional. If you decide to do it, we'll give you feedback where needed.

This assignment will run for 2 weeks. On Monday, December 19th, Lesson 2 will start.

Lesson 1: Add-on:

As a side to this assignment, we'd also like to know a bit about you. Why do you attend the Art Class, what have you drawn before, what do you expect from the Art Class? Of course, anything else you think goes in there; you're welcome to post it.

Good luck!
So long and thanks for all the fish!

Offline ArtCrusade

• Reputation Power: 7
  • ArtCrusade is a Spark waiting for a buff.
  • Join the ArtCrusade!
Re: Lesson 1: An Introduction https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=17021.msg217593#msg217593
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2010, 10:11:11 pm »
First entry I see :)

I draw with pencil/pen for around 6 years. I always loved drawing since I was young, and I still love drawing, though today I am busier than the Devil. I'm happy that I could revive my deviantArt-page, and even happier to have found enough time to make art for other guys here or now for this lesson. I attend this class, because I want to get better with what I do. I think I have my own style already, but there is always room for improvement. I hope you guys can give me some good feedback ;)

Now, serious business is calling! I use a Wacom Bamboo Fun Pen&Touch (16:10) and Photoshop CS5. I started with a rough sketch on paper which I used to make a sketch on Photoshop. I then painted my canvas (1020x1020) and resized it after I finished. Here is my result:

My art:         deviantArt
My poetry:    Writing.com

Memorystick

Re: Lesson 1: An Introduction https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=17021.msg217595#msg217595
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2010, 10:15:12 pm »
Could we have a timer for those of us who have a hard time keeping track of dates please? ;D

I've got some ideas... I'll see what I can do with them (hopefully I get my laptop back soon >_>)

Offline Dragoon1140

• Reputation Power: 23
  • Dragoon1140 is a Mummy waiting to discover the path to glory.Dragoon1140 is a Mummy waiting to discover the path to glory.Dragoon1140 is a Mummy waiting to discover the path to glory.Dragoon1140 is a Mummy waiting to discover the path to glory.
  • New to Elements
Re: Lesson 1: An Introduction https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=17021.msg217605#msg217605
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2010, 10:29:26 pm »
It's very interesting to see Changeling as a first assignment for these guys.  I'll spoil the creativity if I say what I imagine the creature to look like in my mind, so I won't say anything about it.  Thus, I'm curious to see what everyone will produce.  Best of luck to everyone!

EDIT:  Perhaps I should say I'm not in the art class, and only posting here because of the card chosen.  I would love to become an artist, but I just don't have the time nor dedication to become one, to be honest.  You are all braver than I.  :)
Else known as "JonTheBon"

I also make videos and stuff.

Offline vrtTopic starter

• vrt soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.vrt soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.vrt soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.vrt soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.vrt soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.vrt soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.vrt soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.vrt soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.
  • Elitist Graphics Whore
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 4th Birthday CakeBrawl #1 Winner - Team Nyan SharksSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 2nd Birthday CakeCard Art Competition 1st Place
Re: Lesson 1: An Introduction https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=17021.msg217624#msg217624
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2010, 11:10:02 pm »
ArtCrusader: Quick start! Considering you mentioned it being a sketch, I'll treat it as such. First thing that I see is that your subject lack a definition; he's a bit of a 'blob' right now. Try to use some sharper lines and stronger contrasts. Perhaps playing with the Levels would be a nice place to start; you can see where you'll go from there! I'm curious to see how you'll involve the 'changeling' concept; I'd love to see it!

Memorystick: No timer for you, I'm afraid. It'd also set a specific time for pepokish and me, and considering our sometimes hectic work hours, that just doesn't work well.

Dragoon1140: I've mentioned it in chat before; I always thought the concept could make for some very amazign art. However, due to the nature of the creature, everyone will be likely to give it their own interpretation - perfect for an assignment such as this! Next to that, you used art that was distributed under a Creative Commons license in the original idea, and that's always a plus in my book. ;D

Offline ArtCrusade

• Reputation Power: 7
  • ArtCrusade is a Spark waiting for a buff.
  • Join the ArtCrusade!
Re: Lesson 1: An Introduction https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=17021.msg217643#msg217643
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2010, 11:39:48 pm »
ArtCrusader: Quick start! Considering you mentioned it being a sketch, I'll treat it as such. First thing that I see is that your subject lack a definition; he's a bit of a 'blob' right now. Try to use some sharper lines and stronger contrasts. Perhaps playing with the Levels would be a nice place to start; you can see where you'll go from there! I'm curious to see how you'll involve the 'changeling' concept; I'd love to see it!
I thought that was what the Changeling was about. Being a blob which can turn into anything. The left arm is going to be some kind of hammer while the right one is going to be lance-ish and sharp. The left leg is shaped like the clade of a tree while the other one has claws instead of toes. Well, guess you can't see that much yet, because the contrast is low (good point there). I'll see what I can do ;)
My art:         deviantArt
My poetry:    Writing.com

wizelsnarf

Re: Lesson 1: An Introduction https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=17021.msg217745#msg217745
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2010, 01:56:05 am »

A note about why this for changeling: I wanted something amorphous, so I went with the cloak. I made a pinky, not well defined face to represent changeling being entropy and able to change. I put the gravity mark in the hand to represent it using its ability. Finally, I read the card and decided changing doesn't actually change. It say it takes on the ABILITY of the next non shield permanent. It doesn't become anything, it just absorbs the ability. That is why I decided to make it(/her) a humanoid.

My tools: Gimp + mouse ( I went and bought one for my laptop today)

This took me 4 hours :(. I need to figure out how to be faster so that I don't burn out.

My method: I used a lot of various colors on low opacity with the brush. After getting the general idea, I went back with smudge to feather it and make it more continuous. With 20-30% opacity on each brush stroke, it takes forever. I tossed in the gravity mark and a gimp generated nova for some more variation.

Things I wish were better: It is very flat. I don't know why. I tried harder to make shadows and light, but it still ended up look flat, I need help making things more 3d/pop more.

As for the class, I am attending to improve my art skills. This is both for making card art and just general digital art. I have no training whatsoever when it comes to drawing. I took some ceramics in high school and college which might give me a marginally better idea of how to draw. I hope the class can help me make up for that lack.

Here is a list of everything I have made for the game in order:

* effects. I used a picture of my hand for the base.

*effects and edit mostly

* the mouth was edited in, not drawn. Rest was all effects

* all gimp effects, nothing hand drawn

* all edits/gimp effects, nothing hand drawn

* all gimp effects, nothing hand drawn

* mostly edited. I did hand draw the monacle and touched up the face

All hand drawn, same style as my changeling above

* all edits/effects, nothing hand drawn

Offline Ajit

• Reputation Power: 15
  • Ajit is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.Ajit is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.Ajit is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.
  • Awards: Winner of the Card Border Redesign
Re: Lesson 1: An Introduction https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=17021.msg217866#msg217866
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2010, 05:39:24 am »

I'm very satisfied, I've never really painted anything digitally or traditionally, and I am really satisfied with it.  Looking forward to a critique.

I'm attending this art class because I've always wanted to learn how to digitally paint.  I am hoping to get advice from this class.

As far as drawing, these are the only two that I can think of;

http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs40/f/2009/052/3/7/Dungeons____and_Dragons__by_JacobPhilpott.png

http://th08.deviantart.net/fs40/PRE/f/2009/052/2/7/Thumbs_Down_by_JacobPhilpott.png

As far as other art:

For the rest, including photography, here it is: http://jacobphilpott.deviantart.com/

Offline Krava

• Reputation Power: 5
  • Krava is a Spark waiting for a buff.
  • New to Elements
Re: Lesson 1: An Introduction https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=17021.msg217987#msg217987
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2010, 10:47:29 am »
My blood group is A-, i am from Europe, Croatia and i am mostly doing SCIENCE! Yet i have strong urge to create that makes me try various things. As you can attest at my deviant art page (http://chromat.deviantart.com/) i sew costumes, model fimo and stuff, carve, also i have real short-sword in making which isn't finished yet so no pictures. Also in my sig is link to stuff i made for ELEMENTS although everything is on deviantart. Basically wherever i find myself i find something to express upon.  SO i set my eye on digital painting and i said that i wanted to learn to paint and draw through sheer force of sustained effort. Some time has passed and i have improved, but am still not satisfied. By sheer luck (or to quote bible - seek and you shall find, knock and door will open) i stumbled upon vrt who gave me valuable criticism, and i have feeling that i will improve much faster and with less frustration under guidance of the pros.  As much as my doc thesis eats my time i will find enough to paint.

In that light:
this is my take on changeling. not very specific humanoid turning into a shield. very classic approach considering ability of the card, but i haven't spent much time developing concept. This is WIP, sketch simple pencil on paper, and i will color it in photoshop CS3 on separate layer. I usually take lot of time painting as i am going over and over details and sometimes redo parts of image. Also i am very messy while painting. Ah yes i use Logitech Mouse.

Offline vrtTopic starter

• Elitist Graphics Whore
Re: Lesson 1: An Introduction https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=17021.msg218019#msg218019
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2010, 01:09:24 pm »
Thank you all for your entries so far! pepokish was sitting next to me as we looked through them, so these critiques are from the both of us in one go. If I fail to word her thoughts, I'm sure you'll see a post by her soon. ;D

wizelsnarf: First of all; humanoids are pretty rare in Elements. I think I see what you're going for, though, so here goes! You mentioned it yourself already; it looks quite flat. There's actually a few reasons we can trace this back to. The main part of it, is the lighting. The figure is lit from at least 3 different angles; from the bottom left on the face, from the left at the left arm, and straight from the front at the upper chest. Using a consistent lightsource would help a lot in defining the features more.

When it comes to defining features, light always follow the shape of an object. Let's take a closer look at the hood of the character. It seems you tried to use the Gravity mark as a lightsource, with the hood casting a shadow onto the face. If you'd pull it off, that'd make for a very effective way of adding depth. The problem, however, is the light. Should the lightsource be the Gravity mark, then I'd expect a rather strong highlight on the cloak, which'd obscure the face a little, with a less intense highlight on the left of the face, following the curve of the cheek and chin and gradually fading to black. If this is a bit much to take in, please tell me, and I'll do a paintover when I get back to my own PC with Photoshop on it.

FInally, the composition you're using is fairly dull. A good part of this is the crop; cropping a character at the knees is a very traditional mistake, that'll make the character pop out a lot less. I'd suggest extending the canvas a little, there. Also, don't be afraid to hide things! Right now, everything is very visible. Play with light, with overlapping, and make some parts less visible to give the character a more unique look.

I'm eager to see what you'll come up with!

Ajit: For a sketch, this isn't bad at all! I'd give you the same feedback as ArtCrusader here, though: Try and define things more, and play more with a wider tonal range. I personally see a greenish Area 52 creaturew in a dress, but pepokish, for example, saw a plant growing out of a treestump. It's key to get some defining elements in there, that really show what the figure is. Don't be afraid to start working with a stronger contrast; you can always blend in things a bit more if need be, later. Your manipulation work already shows that you know what you're doing when it comes to values, so try and apply that knowledge here.

Krava: With your current sketch, the figure is a bit flat. I think if you'd try to add some more perspective to it, you'd get a much more interesting look. Imagine the critter in 3D space, and adjust the view about 30 degrees to the right; see what you can come up with. Like with wizelsnarf, a little more overlap could work wonders compositionally. When you start working out the sketch, I'd strongly urge you to add quite a bit of detail to the 'transition'area. It's the most awkward part to look at, so try and make it as sensible as you can get it.

Alright, that's all for now. Back to sketching, and I'm very curious to see what you all come up with!

Offline Thalas

• Reputation Power: 14
  • Thalas is taking their first peeks out of the Antlion's burrow.Thalas is taking their first peeks out of the Antlion's burrow.
  • New to Elements
Re: Lesson 1: An Introduction https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=17021.msg218023#msg218023
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2010, 01:20:17 pm »
I drawed some kind of rainbow octopus in the pixlr. :))
I joined this class because I like drawing, but my skills are really noobish
(http://imageplay.net/)

Offline vrtTopic starter

• Elitist Graphics Whore
Re: Lesson 1: An Introduction https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=17021.msg218058#msg218058
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2010, 02:59:16 pm »
Thalas: The sketch you have now is a start, but it looks a bit flat, and, well - as you said, newbish. I think it's got the potential to become a lot better, though. First and foremost, I'd try to minimize the use of lineart. Try and use highlights and shadows to get the shape across. This will also allow you to get some more color variation in there. I could write an extensive critique on this, but I think that it'd be best for you to try and play around with getting rid of the lines, and see where you can go from there. A lot of this process is very natural, so I'd like to see another update when you think you got stuck on it. :)

blarg: