*Author

Offline Kamietsu

• Reputation Power: 47
  • Kamietsu is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Kamietsu is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Kamietsu is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Kamietsu is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Kamietsu is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Kamietsu is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Kamietsu is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Kamietsu is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Kamietsu is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.
  • Old to Elements
  • Awards: Spell Art Competition WinnerWinner of the MASH-UP CompetitionFunny Card Competition WinnerWinner of
Re: Between Classes https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=43021.msg1004322#msg1004322
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2012, 05:49:43 pm »
Oh, I won't be. I just really hope that you realize that I am absolutely, 100% serious when I say that I can not draw a stick figure.

Well draw up something new for us to see where you stand currently.
╔╦╦═╦══╦╗  ( ̄ー ̄) --Snorlax says:
║═╣╬║║║║║    Eat your shower, brush your toothpaste, take your teeth.
╚╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╝

Offline moomoose

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 37
  • moomoose is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.moomoose is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.moomoose is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.moomoose is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.moomoose is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.moomoose is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.moomoose is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.
  • I'm big in Japan.
  • Awards: Winner of the Mark Redesign competition!
Re: Between Classes https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=43021.msg1022292#msg1022292
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2012, 10:15:27 pm »
so after being inspired by vrt's video of creating the shrieker, i just got home and started working on the cockatrice... i think i have the general design down, but i am not sure on how to progress from here without ruining it.  originally i wanted to have the mouth open slightly towards the viewer, but i got the beak/mouth mixed up so just set it to be completely horizontal with a closed jaw.
Spoiler for Hidden:
->
moose dont say moo.

Offline moomoose

• Legendary Member
  • moomoose is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.moomoose is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.moomoose is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.moomoose is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.moomoose is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.moomoose is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.moomoose is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.
  • I'm big in Japan.
Re: Between Classes https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=43021.msg1022395#msg1022395
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2012, 05:47:00 am »
well, i dicked around with it for a bit, i think it looks inconsistent, and probably not good enough for the game after all.  i did use a couple pieces from sxc for the background and the wings
Spoiler for Hidden:

vs (resized it to be the same size as the original)
not resized
Spoiler for Hidden:
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 06:02:45 am by moomoose »
moose dont say moo.

Offline Kamietsu

• Kamietsu is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Kamietsu is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Kamietsu is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Kamietsu is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Kamietsu is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Kamietsu is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Kamietsu is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Kamietsu is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Kamietsu is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.
  • Old to Elements
  • Awards: Spell Art Competition WinnerWinner of the MASH-UP CompetitionFunny Card Competition WinnerWinner of
Re: Between Classes https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=43021.msg1022930#msg1022930
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2012, 12:08:36 am »
That's pretty good, moomoose. I can see some of the ways you went about coloring and filling out the original line art sketch you started with. however, I feel the same as you. There is an inconsistency in it. The background makes the cockatrice pop out, but not in the best of ways. It looks good, and aside from completely creating your own background from scratch it is very good. But what gets me about the actual cockatrice is the lack of shadowing. There are dark parts that look very good with it, but the entire image feel flat. There is very little dimension in it.

Looking at it, it appears your main light source is from the top right, sort of where the sun seems to be shining from in the background image. You can use that much more to your advantage. The bottom of the belly on the creature should be darker. Light would have a harder time reaching that since its back is to the light. Granted you could have thought of that and darkened the body to reflect the light source but it's all a flat shadow then. The bottom of the belly would be darker, and there might be some more reflecting light hitting it from bouncing off the ground. The bend in the neck could be darker since it will be creasing there. Creases are good shadow gatherers.

As for the wings, there needs to be some more defining features. It looks as if the wing closest to the viewer blends in and is directly connected to the wing farthest from the viewer. That needs some seperation.

The black parts of the creature look nice, they provide a good contrast, but I would maybe think about trying to avoid outline-like looks. Such as the the outlines around the wings feel unneeded. There is a highligh on the upper right of the wings tha would make for a perfect ending to them instead of defining them with that black outline.

Hope this helps you some.
╚╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╝

Offline artimies7

• Reputation Power: 24
  • artimies7 is a Mummy waiting to discover the path to glory.artimies7 is a Mummy waiting to discover the path to glory.artimies7 is a Mummy waiting to discover the path to glory.artimies7 is a Mummy waiting to discover the path to glory.
  • Effectively Super
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 6th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 5th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 4th Birthday Cake
Re: Between Classes https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=43021.msg1022946#msg1022946
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2012, 02:43:39 am »
I'm a bit more pixelated than you guys, but let me share some of the frames from my webcomic.

And I'm getting better!
Donuts, Noodles, or Bacon?
Whitewalleries! | Noodles, to Victory!

Offline Kamietsu

• Old to Elements
Re: Between Classes https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=43021.msg1022948#msg1022948
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2012, 03:23:17 am »
I'm a bit more pixelated than you guys, but let me share some of the frames from my webcomic.

And I'm getting better!

That's good! the most important part is to practice and experiment. One of my favorite webcomics started out with some subpar art. nothing really grand at all. And reading it over the years i got to see his art vastly improve little by little over time. and now he's got his own art style and it's a great one. It's simple but fun and expressive.
╚╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╝

Offline artimies7

• artimies7 is a Mummy waiting to discover the path to glory.artimies7 is a Mummy waiting to discover the path to glory.artimies7 is a Mummy waiting to discover the path to glory.artimies7 is a Mummy waiting to discover the path to glory.
  • Effectively Super
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 6th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 5th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 4th Birthday Cake
Re: Between Classes https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=43021.msg1023114#msg1023114
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2012, 11:07:12 pm »
Spoiler for Hidden:

And I'm getting better!

That's good! the most important part is to practice and experiment. One of my favorite webcomics started out with some subpar art. nothing really grand at all. And reading it over the years i got to see his art vastly improve little by little over time. and now he's got his own art style and it's a great one. It's simple but fun and expressive.

Thanks Kami. Good to have some support here in my early days.

Which webcomic are you referring to? I've listed a couple on my homepage (hint: look at my link) but that phenom occurs regularly, albeit not in the spans you are inferring.

Offline Kamietsu

• Old to Elements
Re: Between Classes https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=43021.msg1023120#msg1023120
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2012, 11:55:38 pm »
Spoiler for Hidden:

And I'm getting better!

Which webcomic are you referring to? I've listed a couple on my homepage (hint: look at my link) but that phenom occurs regularly, albeit not in the spans you are inferring.

I see you have listed Sequential Art, which was one of them, But even during his early days he was already pretty skilled. The one I am referring to is called QuestionableContent. If you look at the first comic and the newest comic you can see the large change in art that slowly come out over the years. He literally does a new comic every weekday. So plenty of practice there haha.
╚╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╝

Offline artimies7

• Effectively Super
Re: Between Classes https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=43021.msg1023127#msg1023127
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2012, 01:25:25 am »
Spoiler for Hidden:

And I'm getting better!

I see you have listed Sequential Art, which was one of them, But even during his early days he was already pretty skilled. The one I am referring to is called QuestionableContent. If you look at the first comic and the newest comic you can see the large change in art that slowly come out over the years. He literally does a new comic every weekday. So plenty of practice there haha.

Well, five comics in and I can see the difference in art.
Spoiler for blah blah blah blah blah stuff for who's interested:
I think the only thing standing between my art in five years and his today is a better drawing software.
I hesitate to place it on my homepage, for I want to develop the storyline before I distract viewers with such things as other webcomics. (And I found Irregular Webcomic first, which, seeing as it has a bit more of the dimension-bending hilarity that I plan to incorporate in WW, has dibs.)
I'm really relying on storyline for most of Whitewall's appeal, but art may play a factor in shinyness.
Yet I digress; I needed to get that off my keyboard.

PS: That one with the talking fungii is nice too.

Offline shadow303

• Reputation Power: 8
  • shadow303 is a Spark waiting for a buff.
  • Never stop trying to improve.
  • Awards: Winner of Design An Award Icon Competition! [WC Edition]
Re: Between Classes https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=43021.msg1023246#msg1023246
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2012, 09:15:25 pm »
Quite unrelated.. I've read through all the lessions of art class and they were very interesting. Just wanted to say thanks to all the mods and artists here :)

Offline moomoose

• Legendary Member
  • I'm big in Japan.
Re: Between Classes https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=43021.msg1024590#msg1024590
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2012, 05:34:07 am »
put a little more work into the cockatrice, added shading, some texture to the wings, and am starting to redo the belly... but im a bit stumped on how to continue with the shading of the belly, or if i have made it look better or just more cluttered...
Spoiler for Hidden:

took a stab at it by increasing the brightness overall and then darkening the selected areas... unsure about the results
Spoiler for Hidden:

and tried to add texture to the wings, reshape them minorly, as well as make it stand out against the background
Spoiler for Hidden:

i think due to the amount of time i have spent on this, this will probably be the last revision unless there is some 'eureka' moment
Spoiler for Hidden:

« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 03:18:40 pm by moomoose »
moose dont say moo.

Offline artimies7

• Effectively Super
Re: Between Classes https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=43021.msg1025075#msg1025075
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2012, 08:42:16 pm »
@moomoose

To my eyes, the third one looks best. Still a bit visually akward, but nice.

blarg: