*Author

Lanidrak

Re: Quantum Flash | Quantum Flash https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=5983.msg141201#msg141201
« Reply #60 on: August 18, 2010, 10:40:35 am »
The draw a card effect means you are replacing the card that you needed to trigger the effect. The cost allows it to be played in any deck to get the quanta type required to play your out of element card. Weakness is you have to draw this card to convert the quanta over to what you need and the quanta generation won't hang around to fuel future turns.
Would it not be better to just use Quantum Towers / Supernova? (To get your out-of-element card)

The fact is, with this card being a spell (ie. a once off usage), and it's effect being: lose a card, gain a card, gain a little quanta... It isn't exactly that appealing now is it?

Sure, I am all for a card which allows people to generate more useful quanta. But this card costs 4 and 3 (random quanta) to play. This means that in some situations, you are only going to gain +2 or even +1 (if extremely unlucky) to your 'needed' quanta type.

Take this example.

I have
2 :fire
20 :death
1 :life
1: air

I play a Lively Flash (unupgraded). So, now I am going to lose 4 random quanta. I do not know the mechanics but I would imagine, that the probability of me losing 1 :life is as much as me losing 1 :death. Seeing as it is randomly chosen.

So, now I will suggest possible ways to (in my mind) make this card a little more appealing.

Option a) Make it a creature. Call it something like Quantum Sage for Life, or Quantum Thaumaterge for Fire, or Quantum Tempest for Air etc...

Cost: Debatable
Stats: 0/3
Ability: 4 (any quanta) / 3 (any quanta) - Gain 3 (specific quanta) and draw a card. This creature takes 2 damage.

Reasoning: This way it is a two-use card. So, 6 of these in your deck will now give you 12 usages of Lively/Timely/Atmospheric Flash.

A further note: Ideally, we would want a further layer of User-Interface... Make 1 card... Quantum Entity - play it, choose its respective element. Instead of making 12 cards... but I suppose this is a pipe-dream :)

Option b) Change the way it works. Keep it as a spell, but buff it a little. A spell is a once off use card, no-one is going to carry 6 of them in their deck unless they absolutely needed to (or absolutely chose to).

Make it transfer quanta from your most abundant, into your chosen type. From the above example we had:

2 :fire
20 :death
1 :life
1 :air

If this card was to be played now:
Cost would still be 4 (any - but most abundant). So I would lose 4 :death and gain 3 :life

Reasoning: There are many circumstances in which you find one of your Quanta types overflowing. This is usually because of a deck which favors 1 too many pillar - or you are not using high enough cost cards to that relevant quanta. Or, your mark is just pumping it up and you have no further use for it. Then, this card would be favourable. Instead of totally randomly removing your quanta to give you 3 specific new ones.

Anyways, hope I didn't ramble to long :)

Kael Hate

Re: Quantum Flash | Quantum Flash https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=5983.msg141211#msg141211
« Reply #61 on: August 18, 2010, 11:12:48 am »
I understand everything you say and it is deliberate.
People still beleive it is strong, have a look at the poll.

Lanidrak

Re: Quantum Flash | Quantum Flash https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=5983.msg141213#msg141213
« Reply #62 on: August 18, 2010, 11:16:56 am »
Okay then. If this gets implemented, we'll see how few people use it.

Kael Hate

Re: Quantum Flash | Quantum Flash https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=5983.msg141215#msg141215
« Reply #63 on: August 18, 2010, 11:27:23 am »
I'm stuck in an Impasse. At this time the majority thinks it is already on the upper edge of strong but you want me to make it more powerful. What can I do?

masterada

Re: Quantum Flash | Quantum Flash https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=5983.msg141234#msg141234
« Reply #64 on: August 18, 2010, 12:26:35 pm »
time mark
6 quantum flash
6 sundial
6 precog

=> draw all ur card in 4/5 turns

lets see who can make the most deadly combo out of 12 cards (that would most likely include 1 amethyst tower+some supernova)

so, i think its strong enough as it is now :)

(also, dont forget, that u can reduce ur deck size to 24, without the need of time/light quanta, so the chance of bad draw can be reduced as well)

Lanidrak

Re: Quantum Flash | Quantum Flash https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=5983.msg141286#msg141286
« Reply #65 on: August 18, 2010, 01:47:24 pm »
I understand everything you say and it is deliberate.
People still beleive it is strong, have a look at the poll.
I'm stuck in an Impasse. At this time the majority thinks it is already on the upper edge of strong but you want me to make it more powerful. What can I do?
so, the one who voted "underpowered" suggested that a card that gives 3 quanta and lets you draw a card should cost 2 upped? :)

lol
Shows the Accuracy of Polls whn evaluating mechanics eh?
I'm at an impasse about this card.

I don't think it is overpowered, nor underpowered. Yet I don't think it is right as it is.

In terms of quantum generation.
Quantum Towers are adequate enough to fuel Rainbows.
Supernova's are possibly the best in boosting off-element cards.
Pendulums give an added kick when running a Dual (Mark + 1 element) deck.

If people want a streamlined, fast, and effective deck - the last thing they want to do, is put a card in that does this:

• Lose 4 Random Quanta
  • Gain 3 Specific Quanta
  • Lose 1 Card, Gain another
For comparison, a Quantum Tower gives you +3 random immediately, and another +3 random at the end of your turn. They cost nothing to put into play.

I understand why you feel this card is needed.

With 6 of these in your deck, as it is, lets say upgraded. You're going to lose 18 Random Quanta (just less than 1 Supernova worth) to gain +18 of one specific element.

The fact that this card costs random quanta to play - it would limit it to Trio or Rainbow decks.

Any my main argument is this: With the card as it currently is, would Quantum Towers or Supernova's not be a more effective and less card-heavy solution to fueling 'off-element cards' ?

Offline pwnzor99

• Reputation Power: 1
  • pwnzor99 is a Spark waiting for a buff.
  • New to Elements
Re: Quantum Flash | Quantum Flash https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=5983.msg141405#msg141405
« Reply #66 on: August 18, 2010, 04:52:12 pm »
i think this card is a good idea for a surefire way to get off-mark quanta, without also achieving other quanta you dont need
EDIT: quantum towers and supernovas are more affected by black hole than this

Offline ratcharmer

• Reputation Power: 10
  • ratcharmer is taking their first peeks out of the Antlion's burrow.ratcharmer is taking their first peeks out of the Antlion's burrow.
  • I'm back, it's been a while.
Re: Quantum Flash | Quantum Flash https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=5983.msg141442#msg141442
« Reply #67 on: August 18, 2010, 06:06:27 pm »
I think a major point some (not all) people are missing is that you do not need to have any of the type of quanta generated by this card before you can play it.

Thus in an otherwise mono :aether deck I could toss in one or two of these and be able to play mind flayers without slowing down my deck too much. That is what this card is meant to do.

The drawback of "it might use up the quanta you're trying to gain with it" is deliberate to keep it from being exploited with quantum towers/supernova.

As to the accusations of "you could play half your deck in 1 turn" . . . um . . . yes? You could deck out very fast with these & precognition. That doesn't really help you much if you use it like that though.

I know the worry is you'll use 6 of these to get out dragons really fast, but such a deck would almost always deck itself out, and the upper limit of 18 quanta means you couldn't get out more than 1 dragon that way.

If you tried 2 different elements of flashes they wouldn't get along- you'd just be pulling quanta back and forth, so no luck with dragon rushes that way.

All that being said, can you take a look at this deck, or some variations of it?

6x RoL
6x Leaf Dragon
6x Cremation
6x Illuminating Flash
6x Jade Dragon

Mark of Life

Basically use RoL, Cremation and Flash to get lots of :light quanta, then feed it to your Leaf Dragon to summon a horde of Jade Dragons.

Dark.Gr

Re: Quantum Flash | Quantum Flash https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=5983.msg144705#msg144705
« Reply #68 on: August 23, 2010, 08:31:10 am »
MaxMilen these cards (and Precognition) don't give you ANY card advantage because you spend a card to GET a card...

these cards are free ways to conver 3 generic quanta to 3 specific quanta...
seems a little overpowered because you get something for free...

basically you can put +6 of these in every deck without unbalancing the previous creatures/pillars/permanent ratio
Thats not bad. It add to the game more strategy options and helps you have the wanted cards in a non-time deck.

I kinda like it. I would like to see "draw a card" on more collors for sure.

My only drawback is that it may be abused with Novas/Creamations. But from my point of view the problem is created because of Nova/Creamation.

silux

Re: Quantum Flash | Quantum Flash https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=5983.msg144839#msg144839
« Reply #69 on: August 23, 2010, 02:35:44 pm »
I love the idea!
and why don't we make it an artifact instead of a spell?
so the ability is delayed(no crazy rush deck)
like sundial hasten ability
but remember 3random quanta=1specific quantum
otherwise quantum pillar gets angry that someone has stolen his job
:'( <-quantum pillar

magic vs elements
btw in magic 2random mana converts in 1 mana of any color if converted by active abilities(anyway there few exceptions)

GuriSeboso

Re: Quantum Flash | Quantum Flash https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=5983.msg153194#msg153194
« Reply #70 on: September 06, 2010, 12:52:40 pm »
I think this is overpowered in any case, for a single reason: the card draw. That makes Precognition (Time spell) stupid. Furthermore, this would unbalance the game by nerfing Time element - now all elements have their way to speed up for card advantage?

Not to mention that it would boost Fire element even more (in my opinion, Fire is already too strong). Imagine this on a Fire immorush deck:
-> Photon/Spark -> Immolation -> Phoenix -> Immolation -> Burning Flash (as many times as you have it in your hand) -> Play the card(s) you draw...

I'm sorry, it's very seducing, but... this card implementation would be really bad for the game mechanics.

----

EDIT: My suggestion to make this card good, but not overpowered, is to take out the draw-a-card effect and make it can add more quanta, or cost less quanta. That would make it a nice (but not overpowered) card.

Kael Hate

Re: Quantum Flash | Quantum Flash https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=5983.msg153198#msg153198
« Reply #71 on: September 06, 2010, 01:04:59 pm »
I think this is overpowered in any case, for a single reason: the card draw. That makes Precognition (Time spell) a stupid spell. Furthermore, this would unbalance the game by nerfing Time element - now all elements have their way to speed up for card advantage?

Not to mention that it would boost Fire element even more (in my opinion, Fire is already too strong). Imagine this on a Fire immorush deck:
-> Photon/Spark -> Immolation -> Phoenix -> Immolation -> Burning Flash (as many times as you have it in your hand)...

I'm sorry, it's very seducing, but... this card implementation would be really bad for the game mechanics.
So is the problem Flash or immolation?

Immolation powers the fastest grinding rush decks.

anything
blarg: